Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Stripes and Spots are in this Spring!!


I'm no fashion expert, but from what I gathered while mowing trees last week was, that if you're a baby animal born in the month of May or June you better be wearing stripes or spots.  They all look pretty cute right now, and we seen everything from pheasants to ducks to whitetail deer, and even some rabbits.  We were lucky enough to catch a pheasant nest hatching out, and although I kind of muffed the pictures you get the idea.  I may have another chance since we marked about 25 nests.  This weekend Cordie counted and we still had 14 hens sitting on anything from about 6 to 20 eggs.  I counted three different broods that were already hatched while I was mowing between the trees at K&M, and saw at least six chicks in one and eight in another. 


The ducks should have a good year also.  This small mallard brood followed its mother everywhere she went.  We've got two other duck nests marked- a pintail, and blue-winged teal.  They should be hatching any day also if they haven't already.  June is the primetime when nests can pop at any minute.


This whitetail fawn lay motionless as I snuck close to take a picture with my phone.  After going by it the several times with the tractor and mower it had had enough and moved to a more peaceful place.  It's twin sibling lay only a few trees away down the same row, but didn't have the nerves of steel to let the tractor pass by.  It too scurried away on shaky newborn legs for another shady spot under a tree.  Momma wasn't too far off and had rounded the two up within a couple of hours of me leaving the area.  I spotted a third fawn in a different tree row that also found a more peaceful hiding spot.  All in all things are looking good for the fall. 

It needs to dry out a little before we can start planting food plots, but the chance of rain everyday this week, may not help us there.  There's still time, and everything else is top notch so we're not worried.  Once we do get them in the ground they should come up quick and thick with all the moisture.  Plenty of things to look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could have witnessed the baby pheasants hatching with you. Very few people will be able to say that in their lifetime they have seen baby pheasants hatch.

    Jamie Griffith

    ReplyDelete